Sunday, February 10, 2008

Chop Suey




Not one of my better pieces but it's interesting to look at how it developed. I like the use of red but the central face was very difficult to do; I still haven't worked out a balance between realism and a more expressionistic style. I really liked using oil in this one as the reds came out all rich and juicy but I think that there just wasn't enough emotional resonance in this one for me. Well, I will just add it to my ever expanding pile of unsold works and consider it another good lesson in painting.

4 comments:

Dargie said...

I love the waiter in this, looking over his shoulder. There's a long, lean grace to him.

namastenancy said...

Well, thank you; that's one part that just fell into place. I'm still undecided about the large yellow-white square in the background. It's a window but it doesn't necessarily read as a window - nor does it have to. But when in doubt, I just hang the piece up and live with it for a while and see what changes come to mien.

Dargie said...

I actually think it reads more as a window in the drawing. The problem I have with it in the painting aside from the fact that it's just a bit flat is that the waiter's face looks a bit smushed up against the wall. Not so much in the drawing. I honestly think his face should either overlap the wall slightly, or be farther away from it. I think that line of wall and waiter kind of cuts the painting in half. And because of that the entire right side of the painting has a lot more weight to it than the left.

namastenancy said...

Good points. I will wait until the oil dries a bit and make more changes. Part of the problem comes from my amateur photo; there is a lot of detail in the floor that is lost as well as some of the richness of the paint.