Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Red Chairs


This is another piece that I revised completely once I started painting in oil. There is something about using oil that makes me slow down and yet, allows a great deal more depth in each piece. I was not pleased with version #1. I thought it was clunky and the figures were badly painted. But I am pleased and surprised at where I ended up with a painting that not only looks more accomplished but has (IMHO) an air of mystery and is a lot more intriguing.


Three Chairs - first version. The figures are too clumsy and the background looks like a bad amateur painting.
Three Chairs - final version. The colors are richer, the composition is much tighter and the background pulls you into the space.

3 comments:

sfmike said...

In both this instance and the example in the post below, I preferred the first version before you edited and went more abstract. I LOVE your chunky figures. They are what give your paintings soul. And the background isn't "amateur" painting. It's evocative on its own.

And this is from somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about, but I sorta do.

namastenancy said...

WOW! Well, that's interesting. I'll think about that with my next piece in process where I probably will keep the figures. You will have to come to our Spring Show in April (689 Bryant St. ) and see the work up close and personal. In fact, come for our Friday reception (4/18 between 6-9 PM) so that you can enjoy the wine and cheese. We are having a benefit and silent auction for Suicide Prevention so you can party and feel virtuous at the same time.

Zoomie said...

I vote for the finished version and would love to see it hung with the yellow chairs one. I like the figurative work, too, but why not do both kinds as you explore? I haven't visited your site in a long time so this is fun - I finally have time! I'd like to come to your show - I'll try to do that soon - what times are your studios open?