Monday, September 15, 2008

Adventures in oil painting




I'm continuing to explore oil painting and try my version of more traditional styles. I am not that unhappy with the results but I know that I have a long ways to go before I really know what I'm doing. I like working with figures and I have a loose conception of doing a series around my photos of restaurants and Chinatown. I've already done a couple of pieces but I'm constantly amazed at how long each one takes. The longer I paint, the slower I get and the more revisions each piece goes through. I remember back when I was working when I would "turn out" a piece a week. Now I look at those pieces -mostly abstract - and realize that I was just flinging paint on canvas, using painting as a way to keep from going postal in a very difficult job. Now, I still fling paint but I also stroke, dab, smear, scrumble and in between, do a lot of swearing.

3 comments:

Zoomie said...

I have never met an artist who was satisfied with her/his work - I think it must be a process that is never really "finished." And, years later, I'll bet all their fingers itch to improve their earlier paintings!

namastenancy said...

Don't forget the cursing. Swearing is a very important part of the process as is tearing your hair out and wondering if you've got any talent at all.

Bill Stankus said...

I had wanted to be an artist when still a small boy (in the Sacramento Valley) but there was one catch - my best friend in grade school was really good at art. He went on to a career in art and his work is now collected by many galleries and collectors. But as a kid I was so intimidated by his skill I didn't press on with my own efforts. Until years later, that is. After college and a degree in science I then went to an art school - for photography. About 6 years ago I finally took up oils, and like you, have been dealing with the development of techniques and simply growing as an artist.