Tuesday, September 16, 2008

San Francisco Art Institute


I remember this room very well and the room across from it. I spent my happiest hours in those rooms, learning to draw and paint. I'm looking over my transcripts and I didn't get very good grades my first semester. But by my second semester, I was pulling in A's and B+ and I was so proud. The rooms haven't changed much - maybe a new coat of paint and a hell of a lot more noise from various boom boxes around the room. I remember us working in silence which is the way I still work. Autre temps, autre mores.

I would have made a good teacher, instead of a good but rebellious and bored administrator/buyer, whatever. I was fired or on the verge of being fired from almost every job I had in the last XXX years because I was the wrong person in the wrong place. I always did a good job but my supervisors hated me and I returned the hate and didn't have the skill to hide it. But then, I think that I really am an artist and have that kind of temperament which never fits well in the world. It's taken me a lot of years to realize that and to believe myself when I say "I am an artist." For a women of my generation and with my upbringing, that's been no easy task.

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

My heart leaped at your first photo - I miss that place! But, I use the expression, "Back when God was a child..." because I'm not sure he's a he. :-)

namastenancy said...

Ah, good point. I've changed it because, like you, I'm not sure he's a he. In fact, I hope he's beyond gender but who knows?

tangobaby said...

It's so hard when you know you're not exactly in the right place for you that fits...but then you're not sure what that other place would be. I think that happens to many people. I'm glad you kept up the painting!

Anonymous said...

Nancy these posts are great...
Eva