Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The mother of all bling returns


If Chululy wasn't gaudy enough for you, guess what's coming. Well, I should be more respectful. I think that Ancient Egyptian art is gorgeous and far more "authentic" than that made by Mr. C. But really. Does the De Young need a continual diet of blockbuster exhibits to stay in the black?

The Mother of All Museum Exhibitions is coming to Golden Gate Park’s de Young Museum in June 2009. It’s Tutankhamun! It’s on! That’s right, the King of Bling is coming back to San Francisco for the first time in 30 years.

Well, maybe not King Tut himself:

“Tutankhamun’s mummy and the inner sarcophagus are still located in his tomb in the Valley of the Kings in Egypt. The outer sarcophagi and shrines are at the Cairo Museum. Neither the mummy nor any of the sarcophagi have ever traveled.”

But this show, Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs, is going to be way better than The Treasures of Tutankhamun, which is what what people were able to see the last go around three decades ago. (from SF Citizen)


Some links:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,349108,00.html

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/tut/mysteries/index.html

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/tut.htm

http://www.guardians.net/egypt/tut1.htm

5 comments:

tangobaby said...

I know!!! I cannot WAIT for this! I remember when I saw it when I was like 10 or so, and I was dreaming of being an Egyptologist for years after that!

Woo hoo! And it's practically in my freaking back yard! YAY! (Can you tell I'm excited? Sorry. I'll tone it down now.)

namastenancy said...

You probably WERE a princess in Ancient Egypt, so, of course you're excited. You're just revisiting the family jewels! When I was a kid, my dad was stationed in Egypt and I got to visit the museum in Cairo several times. I loved the little servant figures from all the tombs and an absolutely exquisite bed set (Middle Kingdom) which consisted of the bed, an amazing elegant chair and an four poster frame which went over the bed. I tried to draw like an Egyptian for years and there are those who might say that my knowledge of anatomy still lacks a certain authenticity!

Matty Boy said...

This is the first time I had heard the phrase "The King of Bling", so I'm going to give you credit.

namastenancy said...

Well, Thank you but I fear that I don't deserve it. But he really was the king of bling; makes you wonder what the unlooted tombs of greater pharaohs would have contained - Seti I or Ramses II or Thutmose.

Zoomie said...

I went to the first show (and the disappointing one in LA a few years ago)when it was in DC and it was incredible - beautiful beyond words. We waited for six hours in line and the then-President breezed in the back door and had the audacity to come out and tell us it was worth the wait!