Tuesday, December 30, 2008

So Long 2008

On the last day of the year the transiting Sun hits my natal Sun, which sits at the nadir of my chart and opposes my natal Saturn. As a result, I’m not one for going out and raising hell on New Year’s Eve. Of course, the whole world celebrates my birthday so there's plenty of celebration to go around.

In my younger days, I worked all the weird shifts in admitting or the emergency room, and inevitably I’d not only have to deal with the the most obnoxious patients around, I'll also get sick.

I got the message: I’m supposed to have a contemplative New Year’s Eve, and I generally do, now that I’m older and wiser. That is, I have as quiet a New Year's Eve as my neighbors will allow.

I like the Japanese custom of cleaning house on New Year’s Eve so you can start the New Year with a fresh slate. Today I cleaned house, straightened up my studio and tomorrow I'll be at the Asian, ringing in the New Year Japanese style (see below). I'm going with a couple of friends and we will ring the bell together and send up fervent prayers for a better 2009.

Then, I'll be spending New Year's Eve with a friend, both for the company and to escape the louts that live above me and will certainly be partying until dawn. May they have the mother of all hangovers!

This year, it’s not just me who’ll be feeling Saturn’s influence on New Year’s Eve; the whole world will, as Saturn will be making a station at 21 degrees 45 minutes of Virgo before going retrograde.

So long, 2008; it ain't been fun to know you.

No comments: