Friday, May 22, 2009

Tribute to the SFAI at Togonon Gallery

I was utterly delighted to see Julius Hatofsky's work up at Togonon Gallery. He was one of my teachers at the San Francisco Art Institute and the one that I remember the most fondly. The show at Togonon gallery is celebrating a decade or more of the SFAI and featuring many other wonderful artists in their 2nd floor gallery.
Of course, I love Hatofsky's rich and expressive abstracts but other artists include Deborah Remington, Peter Foraks and Leo Valledor among others. The show is timed to coincide with the San Francisco Decorator Showcase exhibition entitled the "History of the San Francisco Art Institute." It will only be up through May 25, 2009 while the current show at Togonon Gallery closes at the end of the month. This show will be followed by a photography show, featuring David Johnson and Jack Fulton, both with ties to the SFAI.

Togonon Gallery - through May 30th.
77 Geary Street, 2nd Floor
http://www.togonongallery.com

2 comments:

Zoomie said...

Maybe we can catch this show, too, on Wednesday? Do you think all these shows are trying to say goodbye to SFAI? It seems to be in dire straits.

namastenancy said...

Absolutely - once I looked at Hatofsky's pieces (they have several up), the rest of the show faded out for me. I want to go back and give the whole thing a second look but mostly to look at Hatofsky's work a second time. I'm really shocked that none of his pieces are in any of the permanent collections of Bay Area Art, or, if they are, are never on display. But I shouldn't be shocked. The De Young owns a Bernice Bing that's the equal of any Diebenkorn and it's probably in the basement.