Saturday, August 1, 2009

Three resign from the Arts Commission

I'd really like to know the real story behind this....

Peter DaSilva/Special to the Chronicle

Three arts commissioners have submitted their letters of resignation. Dede Wilsey, Alexander Lloyd, and Jeannene Przyblyski, wife of Eric Jaye, who until last week was Newsom's longtime political adviser. ....

Przyblyski's describes in great length her frustration with Supervisor Chris Daly's recent move to require far more financial disclosure of arts and film commissioners, moving from requiring disclosure only about income related to the arts or city business to all income.

"While I am confident that my disclosure statements would continue to be complete and correct - and my husband's clients are already publicly disclosed under the rules regulating his business, I cannot help but fear that this is an attempt to open the door for new opportunities to harass me in an attempt to 'get' my husband," Przyblyski's resignation letter reads. (It is unclear whether her resignation has anything to do with Jaye parting ways with Newsom.)

P.J. Johnston, president of the Arts Commission, said both women have served on the visual arts committee for years and their resignations are a huge loss to the commission. He said he hasn't heard of any of the other 13 commissioners leaving, but that the new rules will make it far harder to recruit new members - who are unpaid for their service.


5 comments:

Zoomie said...

Huge loss for the Arts Commission - all three are bright, energetic, interesting people. Przyblysk was at SFAI when I worked there and she's a delight. I only met Ms. Wilsey once but you can't exist in the SF arts community without bumping into her contributions almost daily.

sfmike said...

Dear Nancy: Here's a comment I just put up at "The Opera Tattler," who mentioned that poor Dede has been forced off the Arts Commission:

If you've read Sean Wilsey's brilliantly written memoir, "Oh The Glory of It All!" you know that Dede Wilsey is one of the most evil stepmothers of all time, not to mention a generally nasty piece of work.

New municipal legislation recently went into effect requiring greater financial disclosure for city commissioners which she, along with a few other socialites, declined to provide. Since she is so used to having San Francisco as her own personal Sim City, this must have seemed like the height of effrontery. As to her departure from the Arts Commission, good riddance to bad rubbish, as my grandmother was fond of saying.

namastenancy said...

I really don't care of she was the most evil stepmother of all time or if she "flaunts" her power and position. If she's not paid for her work on the commission, then her private financial affairs are her own business. Furthermore, while I don't like some of the shows she's fostered at the De Young, I do like other parts of the collection. Now, if we lived in a place where the arts, including the museums, were heavily funded, her departure would not bother me. But we don't, so we are dependent on people like her - with money and power and influence. Also, since my district has suffered from Daly's neglect and indifference ever since he became supervisor, I do not take the benign view of his actions that you do.

namastenancy said...

I should add that Daly IS the supervisor in my district so my experience with him is via our neighborhood group. When we've tried to get his support on any number of issues from the homeless issues to better street lighting to a skateboard park underneath the freeway, he's been unhelpful or uninterested.

Re: the Arts Commission. IF the Board of Supervisors was really interested in how money was being spent, they should audit the the Board's business practices. Then, if there is proof of kickbacks or illegal business practices, they can legitimately investigate the private finances of the members in question.

Zoomie said...

As a stepmother, myself, I'm tired of having us all maligned as "wicked," too. Cinderella was a fairy tale, for heaven's sake! I don't doubt that Mrs. Wilsey made some mistakes with her stepchildren - we all do - but that has little to do with her standing in and generosity to the arts community.