Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ugo at 555 Mission

One of my goals this summer was to walk both Market Street and Mission Street and take as many photos of public art as I could. I expected the more traditional work but I didn't expect the fun, innovative/crazy or even interesting pieces that I came across. I didn't even know the Arneson pieces were there (see earlier post); unfortunately they, like the monument to the Abraham Lincoln Brigade are hidden by the huge bulk of the Villiancourt Fountain which is hated by most of SF but loved by pigeons, seagulls and skateboarders.



These pieces, by Swiss sculptor Ugo Rondinone, are at the plaza outside 555 Mission. I almost didn't get to take the photos as the security guard was very suspicious of me and my camera. Beware of 60+ grey haired ladies with cameras; who knows what evil lurks...Titled "Moonrise Sculptures: March, October, and December", the trio of mottled aluminum heads are goofy and frightening. Furthermore, they don't look like any month I've lived through.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/04/DDH613S0M3.DTL#ixzz0OeOUGtNd

3 comments:

Bill Stankus said...

I'm curious, why is the Vaillancourt Fountain hated so much?

namastenancy said...

Good question! Basically I think that most feel that it's ugly but I'm going to add that to the list of posts/reviews in process as it would make an interesting article. Herb Caen loathed it and, although he's passed away, his opinions still carry a lot of weight.

janinsanfran said...

I had no idea those were there. Thank you!