Monday, December 28, 2009

A Few of My Favorite Things from 2009

I had a great Christmas - not many gifts because my friends and family don't "do" gifts. But I went to a friend's house for a delicious dinner where I ate too much, enjoyed the fabulous view from her apartment in North Beach and...well, ate too much. Plus wine! VINO! This has been the best year yet in retirement with my on-line journalism opening the doors that I always failed to open in the past.

Every Monday, I wake up and think - I don't have to go to work today! I hear the tales of the psychotic bullies that still rule UC and rejoice that I am no longer being ground under their feet. Nobody now is taking the credit for my work or has the power to make my life miserable just because they get their jollies that way. When I was still part of the peon workforce, I had supervisor after supervisor who dumped their job on me and then, took all the credit. Even when the doctors that I worked for SAW me do the work, they ignored that little fact and praised and rewarded the dishonest jerks who were at the top of the greasy pole.

I don't make much money from being an art critic; on-line papers are not the best paying places but the emotional and intellectual rewards are, for me, fantastic! I get to preview every museum show in the Bay Area. I get daily e-mails from artists and organizations, tons of information and more images that I can process in two lifetimes. But the best part is meeting all the great people - the bloggers, the museum people, the curators and behind-the-scenes assistants, the gallery owners and the artists. I don't have to apologize for having a brain or a passionate interest in art. I don't have to hide who I am or pretend to be stupid for fear of threatening some supervisor with no brains or ethics. I can do without my upstairs neighbor and his loud music. He's young, rich, inconsiderate and dumb but I can deal with it because there are so many more wonderful things in my life. I know that it's been a dreadful year for finances and wars that seem to go on forever and politics that are the same old, same old. My savings have taken a hit as well but I can manage because I'm lucky enough to live frugally.

I came to San Francisco over forty years ago to be an artist. I'm still painting and now, I'm learning how to be a journalist. There may not be a Santa Claus but for me, miracles do happen. 


Moore on Paintings
"The many great paintings of the world, all make the point as clear as possible: The soul cannot thrive in the absence of art. If you don't want the pleasure of art, you are not human; and if you are not human, you don't have a soul."


Frank Lobdell at the Cantor Art Center: Drawings from life



Vjrabhairava Tanka from Bhutan - Asian Art Museum


Scarab broach from the Cartier Exhibit: FAMSF (Legion)

David Park - Bathers II (1955/56) SFMOMA (75th Anniversary Celebration)


Amish Abstractions: FAMSF (De Young)

3 comments:

Eva said...

Congrats to all those good things Nancy! All the best in 2010.

namastenancy said...

You were one of my role models. You went out and created an "art space" for yourself by your radio shows as well as writing your great blog. You were/are a trailblazer.

Zoomie said...

I'm glad you are recognizing and celebrating the good things in your life and leaving the bad memories behind. Pretty soon, you won't even remember how grim your working life was.