Wednesday, December 23, 2009

A good day for art in the Bay Area

Noguchi sculpture in front of a Lobdell Painting (image courtesy Cantor Art Center)

It's a good day for art in the 'hood: Stanford gets a Noguchi - as usual, Baker gets the scoop:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/23/DDGV1B7NAP.DTL&type=art

I remember visiting the Noguchi museum and garden in NY years ago and being enchanted with his art; this doesn't look like one of his better pieces but I will reserve judgment until I see it in person.

 and the De Young gets to keep some of the prize items in the  New Guinea/ Oceanic Collection
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/12/23/MNED1B89F6.DTL

Now, what I want to know is how I can be on the cutting edge of getting this type of information? I love being an arts journalist and, while I know that I have a long ways to go and much to learn, it's frustrating to only find out the important things after the fact. I'm more than happy to be writing about art in a more "official" capacity but it's certainly clear that art bloggers (at least those not on the national level) don't get no respect.

No comments: