Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Belles Heures of Jean de France, Duc de Berry

I am passionate about illuminated manuscripts. I love them so much that I sometimes wonder if I was a medieval calligrapher and illustrator in a former life (ahem...) When I was very young, I copied medieval art from a series of booklets from the Met. I even developed a pretty good black letter hand and designed my own little, hand written books, complete with tiny copies of art that I found in books on medieval art. I spent my allowance on purple ink and gold paint! I remember even stitching them on my grandmother's old sewing machine and I wonder where they are now - probably lost many moves ago.

This is on exhibit in New York right now and it's one of the many things that makes me realize how provincial SF can be. We have good museums here including the Legion of Honor and Asian. SF MOMA is working hard to improve itself but we have nothing like these medieval treasures.



http://blog.metmuseum.org/artofillumination/

1 comment:

Zoomie said...

There's a wonderful room full of pages from illustrated manuscripts in the Musée Marmottan in Paris, too. We went there for the Impressionists but ended up spending more time with the illustrated pages!