Monday, May 3, 2010

Where are the women at SF MOMA?

I posed this question back in 2007 in one of my first posts to BAAQ:
http://baartquake.blogspot.com/2007/12/where-are-women-not-at-sf-moma.html

I'm sorry to say that the question is still as pressing then as it was now and hasn't been answered in any better fashion. 

I discovered (via a post at Real Clear Arts) that Anne Walsh, a curator at SF MOMA's blog, Open Space, asked the same question of senior Gary Garrels.

http://www.artsjournal.com/realcleararts/2010/05/women-artists-sfmoma.html

"15 male artists own the majority of linear and cubic gallery-feet, 3 female artists have the rest. And of those three women, at least two could be called twofers: they're the only artists of color in the entire installation, and they're women!  (Here I am referring to Doris Salcedo and Kara Walker. If, in ignorance, I've overlooked someone, please correct me.)"

The end of the post has a long fantasy shopping list but given the prevailing sexism of the museum establishment and their long, long list of excuses, I'm not holding my breath. Part 1 appeared on April 13; the second part hasn't been published yet. 
http://blog.sfmoma.org/2010/04/womens-time-and-space-part-1/

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, dear! This is deja vu for me. It was the same question asked in the pages of The Guardian last week in regards to both the arts and the election campaign by two journalists separately.

The fact that you're still asking the same question three years down the line shows that a lot has yet to be done.

The questions is when and whether legislation on its own will result in a positive outcome.

Great post.

Greetings from London.

namastenancy said...

Buenos Dias, Senor Cuban - how nice to see you posting here! Yes, I read your two posts on Feminism. In fact, I printed them out, along with the comments, and I'm thinking about writing another post, referencing your blog, another essay I wrote on the image vs reality of women in the current exhibit at the Asian and one of their curators essays in THEIR blog. I think it's a round robin situation; those in power are happy with that position and don't wan to be challenged. When women's roles change, that challenges everybody, including the women. But there has to be better legislation along with more recognition for women's achievements and a way to value them as more than baby machines.