Thursday, June 10, 2010

Reviews of Bravo's Art "Reality" Show

To misquote Joseph Welch, a lawyer in the Army-McCarthy proceedings, on a more famous occasion, one can only say, "Sir, have you no shame?" Lee Rosenbaum of the blog Culture Grrl nails it and even Jerry Saltz, one of the "judges" will hide the DVD from his wife, art critic Roberta Smith. (thanks to Matty Boy for the correction on the quote).

 Bravo TV
Jerry Saltz: "...But maybe being sick to one’s stomach comes from whatever it is that drives someone like me to even appear on a reality-TV show at all. I know that after the first time I watched the show, the line that kept going through my mind was Erik’s, when he looked at the camera and said, “I’m never going to get laid again.” In truth, my wife has been too busy to see the show. Note to self: hide the DVD."
 http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegrrl/2010/06/blogback_artistadministrator_o.html

7 comments:

Zoomie said...

Nao Bustamante was a student at SFAI when I worked there. I'll watch until she's eliminated. She shows a lot of "attitude", however, so they will likely keep her on for quite a while to build up the tension of those who hate her and want to see her fail.

Matty Boy said...

The quote "Sir, have you no sense of decency?" was from Joseph Welch, a lawyer in the Army-McCarthy proceedings.

Slight quibble, the rest of the review I understand quite easily.

Leslie said...

I think "have you no shame" and "have you no decency" both apply!

namastenancy said...

I still got it wrong, didn't I? Well, can I claim ATD because I'm packing, talking to my sister about what we are going to do and dealing with family dynamics.
I think the word "shame" is, in fact, more appropriate.

Zoomie said...

I thought it was an interesting observation in the review that the show does reflect the "reality" of the art world in that it's not the talent that is necessary, it's the way one presents oneself and one's art, the way one "markets" one's work, and how far outside the boundaries one's work is. Jerry Saltz's body language (I assume he's the guy in the blue blazer?) says pretty eloquently how embarrassed and awkward he feels in this forum. I wonder why he agreed to do it?

namastenancy said...

I couldn't get the direct link to his piece working but if you follow the link from Lee's article to what Saltz wrote, it's about the money. They offered him quite a nice pile to do this. When in doubt, follow the money! I'd probably do the same thing if somebody offered me beaucoup bucks. Artistic integrity is good but money is better (in this instance).

Kathy Hodge said...

I love this quote from Lee Rosenbaum's post "For its next reality show, Bravo ought to turn the premise around, selecting a jury of artists to trash their tormenters---"The Next Great Critic.""

Critics will be eliminated if any part of their critques are intelligible. The most obscure references will granted immunity.