Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Julie Michelle: " I live here" opening at SOMArts this Friday

Julie Michelle

@ Julie Michelle

I met Julie almost two years ago when I started leaving messages on her now-defunct blog, Tango Baby.  Then, we met in person and I was even more impressed by her intelligence, passion and energy. I remember one walk through the Mission where she saw things that I had never noticed in my 30+ years of living here. I learned more about my neck of SF and how to look for delight at the turn of every corner; that one walk was a whole semester of art appreciation packed into an afternoon - plus lunch at an Indian restaurant that I'd been too chicken to go into by myself. Art + food + great conversation = a great way to start a friendship.

I admired her compassionate heart and respected her attempt, ultimately heart breaking, to help a homeless mother and her three children. Julie didn't have much in the way of resources but what she had, she gave completely.

I am in awe of her talent and very honored to have her as a friend. She even invited me to participate in her project but I was too camera phobic to say yes. But lots and lots of other people did say yes, Yes and again YES! This show is the result of all those who participated, so say yes, and go.

There's no doubt where I'm going to be this Friday night. 

This is an exciting show not only because of the high caliber of the photography, video, and installation work in the show, but also because it is the first Commons Curatorial Residency that SOMArts has awarded. This ongoing, community-based photography and creative writing project investigates the myriad cultural and personal nooks and crannies of San Francisco as well as the lovely, lively, kooky, exiting, and entertaining inhabitants therein.

With this award Julie Michelle has composed an exhibition that shares the spirit and fascinating layers of this city through the words and faces of those who live here.  This ongoing, community-based photography and creative writing project investigates the myriad cultural and personal noooks and crannies of San Francisco as well as the lovely, lively, kooky, exiting, and entertaining inhabitants therein.

It has already received lots of attention, being featured or listed at: The Bold Italic, SF Station, SF Fun Cheap, Flavorpill, SFist, Fecal Face, Muni Diaries, SFBG, SF Weekly, SF Gate, 7×7, and more.

http://julieliveshere.com/

Wonderful interview which show's Julie's talent and warm and compassionate heart and the back story of how she got started.

http://thepoetrystore.net/events/julie-lives-here/

Friday, November 05, 2010 from 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (PT)

SOMArts , 934 Brannan Street, San Francisco, CA 94103
http://www.somarts.org/2010/10/20/i-live-heresf-is-gaining-steam/

2 comments:

Zoomie said...

She looks like a modern version of the Girl with a Pearl Earring.

A Cuban In London said...

I used to visit Tango Baby when it was still alive. And I, too, was impressed by Julie's creativity (she's a fellow Scorpio, that should have been a clue! :-D). I'm so happy for Julie.

Many thanks. By the way, you're one of the good critics in the art world! :-) I love your posts.

Greetings from London.