Sunday, March 27, 2011

Another weekend, another costume show


Balenciaga and Spain opened at the de Young last Saturday. I have had a house guest so I haven't had time to write about it but fancy clothes for rich people really aren't my thing. While I agree that the clothes are beautifully made, I have to take "their" word for it because I wouldn't know a satin slip knot from a running stitch. The Spanish influence on his designs is obvious but the show's curators really stretched a point, claiming that Mr. B was influenced by the great Spanish painters. Would you believe that society evening dress with bows down the front was influenced by Goya? No, me neither.

Hamish Bowles, the show's curator and European editor for Vogue told some amusing stories which broke up the usual back patting that passes for introductions. Now, I could have listened to a lot more of his stories because he was both knowledgeable and amusing. Janos G, my fellow journalist at the Examiner, joked that the museum was going to be renamed. He had such a straight face that I almost believed him until he followed up with the punch line about the new name - "The Costume and Textile Shop" (or words to that effect). 

I know that this exhibit will be popular and will bring in the crowds and the cash.

But it does get tedious looking at clothing - if it's January, February, March or December, we are going to have another designer costume show?  

This particular exhibit also has a lot of over-the-top hype. Claims were made that wearing Balenciaga clothes would make every woman look fabulous. I. Don't. Think. So. Not if you are short and chubby as many of us are; the women who wore his clothing were not only richer than Midas, they were all slender (the benefit of having a cook) and beautifully groomed.  Plus, the space was so dark that we were having trouble reading the labels. AND we didn't get a real catalog but a thumb nail drive with the catalog on it - and it's damned hard to read.


Grump. 

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

Like you, fashion leaves me cold. I'm more at home with a dance show or an art exhibition.

Great article, though. The writing is ever so fine.

Greetings from London.

Zoomie said...

A very well written rant. :-) I'm tired of the fashion shows, too, but I don't have to go and it makes beaucoup bucks for the museum. I'm okay with that.