Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Links for a hot Tuesday in June, Pia Stern, NMWA, Dorothea Rockburne and A Cuban in London

It's the Solstice and in honor of the Goddess, today's post will be full of links about women and art. It's too darn hot to do much else. I am definitely a long time San Franciscan. I came here for the fog and when it's not cool, I wilt, lose all brain functions and become extremely cranky!

 First of all, a link to Pia Stern's web page. I first saw her work in a local gallery and wrote a decent review which was far less than she deserved (KB, -or better yet, Christopher Knight of the LA Times -  where are you when it's a talented and deserving woman artist?) She wrote back, I replied (Nancy the talkative) and she has become a much-cherished e-mail friend.  SFMOMA's Artists Gallery at Ft. Mason carries some of her work and she occasionally has a show here which I will be sure to post about when it happens.

 Previous posts on Pia's work: 

The National Museum for Women in the Arts in Washington DC has three great exhibits. I can't visit in person so it will have to be via cyber-space.
Pressing Ideas: Fifty Years of Women’s Lithographs from Tamarind features over seventy fine art lithographs by forty-two women artists,


Now, this is a group that's near and dear to my heart:
"The Guerrilla Girls Talk Back features more than 70 works by the Guerrilla Girls, a group of anonymous artist-activists, who have raised awareness about the sexism and racism pervading contemporary culture since the early 1980s......"
http://womeninthearts.wordpress.com/2011/06/16/the-guerrilla-girls-talk-back/
 
Susan Swartz: Seasons of the Soul features thirteen of the artist’s abstract landscape paintings in an intimate, single-gallery presentation
http://womeninthearts.wordpress.com/

I don't remember when I first saw the work of Dorothea Rockburne; it seems like ages ago. I was so impressed that I bought the gallery catalog. I follow her work (via the Internet) and was pleased when my last Google search brought up her show at the Parrish Museum. This is her first career retrospective (ABOUT TIME!!) and I feel another catalog purchase coming on.

Dorothea Rockburne: In My Mind’s Eye
June 19–August 14, 2011


Dorothea Rockburne (American, born Canada, 1932) Geometry of Stardust: 2.5 Ratio / Jupiter and Saturn, 2009–2010 Aquacryl, Perlacryl, Titanium acrylic, and gold leaf on watercolor paper 14 ½ x 11 inches Collection of the artist © 2011 Dorothea Rockburne/Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York Photo: Schecter Lee
http://www.parrishart.org/

A Cuban In London who writes one of the most insightful, delightful and perceptive blogs that I read. He often posts music videos of music from his Latin and Cuban heritage. My music collection has been enriched by his vast knowledge. But his latest post on the sexual oppression of women is an eloquent and powerful essay.

"Maybe it's time to go beyond judicial paths, law enforcement and government-backed strategies. Perhaps the last resort we have left is to invoke the words uttered by Louise Sawyer (played by Susan Sarandon in the film "Thelma and Louise") when confronting her friend's attacker in the car park: "Sounds like you got a real fucked up idea of fun. Turn around. In the future, when a woman's crying like that, she isn't having any fun!" .....

Bang."

More at..
http://cubaninlondon.blogspot.com/

No comments: