Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New work: sunset over marshes. Jan

  Oil on canvas, 28" x 30" 2001

I seem to be on a roll. If I'm not painting, I'm writing either for the blogs or for the Examiner.com. It's fantastic to have such energy and I'm taking advantage of it while I can. I also uploaded four small new pieces up at my Flickr page (all 8 1/2 x 11"). They are all works on paper, either watercolor or pastel and Buddha themed. It's interesting to observe what works and what doesn't work as well. 

I though that the stucco heads from Thailand would be more dramatic but maybe it's my treatment that makes them not stand out more. Still, I liked dotting the paper with the brush in a vigorous fashion and producing a rougher edged image. 

The Kwan Yin/Chinese goddess is almost perfect but I want to push back the dark shadows outlining her eyes. The bust of the Buddha is almost the way I want it but then, I think that I control pastel better than watercolors, and, of course, that's the nature of watercolors -- to allow for the accident when color mixes with water. 

No comments: