Tuesday, July 19, 2011

SFMOMA buys a work by Sol Le Witt

 Sol LeWitt,  3x3 Wall Grid. 1966

I often wonder how work that is this intellectual and non-emotional will hold up. Will the next generation look at it? I don't find him very interesting myself but I do realize that, for some,  conceptual art is the flavor of the last couple of decades.

Yesterday, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA) announced the acquisition of Wall Grid (3 x 3) (1966), an important early work by Sol LeWitt, one of the key artists of the postwar period.


http://www.examiner.com/museum-in-san-francisco/sfmoma-acquires-an-early-work-by-sol-lewitt

1 comment:

A Cuban In London said...

Intersting post and a no less interesting piece of art. Did I just say piece of art? Will future generations judge it so?

As I get older I find that I'm attracted to conceptual art more and more. And it's not a phenomenon that happens in isolation, it's usually accompanied by music, literature and/or film. The painting is just another piece in the puzzle.

Great post.

Greetings from London.