Sunday, October 2, 2011

Listeria, e-Coli contaminated meat and now Velveta? - oh joy!

 @ AP Wire Services

Fall has officially started and those of us who aren't vegetarians should be thinking about beef stew and other hearty cool weather dishes. But the bad news about contaminated foods just keeps on coming.

Those of us in the Bay Area should not be smug; if you shop at the big chain supermarkets, you are at risk of buying e-coli contaminated beef, pork containing foreign materials or cantaloupe infected with listeria. Californians love their salad. Well, read on down about the 2500 cartons of listeria contaminated lettuce from a California farm.

Even Velveeta cheese isn't safe!
http://www.examiner.com/budget-grocery-in-san-francisco/listeria-e-coli-and-food-contaminated-meats-oh-joy

3 comments:

Zoomie said...

I went to the jump page just to see if Velveeta actually had enough nutritional value to harbor e coli, and learned that the concern with Velveeta is wire brush particles rather than germs. *sigh* Thank heavens I don't buy meat there and I've never purchased anything Velveeta.

A Cuban In London said...

Oh, dear! I'm a meat-eater, although I can go into vegetarianism if need be at the click of my fingers. :-)

Greetings from London.

namastenancy said...

I don't think there's much to chose between wire brushes in lunch cups marketed to kids and Listeria. Can you imagine what a wire would do in a kid's tummy? UG!

Senor Cubano - I think that your meat is probably raised in better conditions than ours. I went by a major cattle ranch earlier this year. The stink followed us for miles. So much produce and meat is raised by big corporations and health and safety can come in second. Or even third.

I am very very particular where I buy my meat. SF and the Bay Area are very lucky in have lots of small, organic and ethical farms within trucking distance and lots of farmer's markets to sell what they raise and grow. Lots of other parts of the country aren't so lucky.