Friday, December 16, 2011

Culture Grrl (aka Lee Rosenbaum ) may leave the blogsphere.

As noted here:

..."One of the parts of my edited Finnish interview that didn't make it onto the program concerned the unremunerative nature of this solo enterprise. I have just totaled my dismal take for 2011. I'll share it with you---slightly less than $1,400 (including donations and ads), for a year out of my finite professional life. What am I thinking?

Blogging has been a labor of love and it's in my blood. I believe (as I told the Finns) that it's important, and I'd like to think that CultureGrrl has been regarded as such by its devoted, sophisticated niche audience.

So here's the Grrl's last gurgle:

If 100 readers are willing to donate $20 each within the next three weeks to express appreciation for last year's edition of CultureGrrl (or if a different combination of readers and benefactions achieves the same monetary goal), I'll continue. Given the size of my audience, that's a relatively modest goal. But it seems unlikely to be realized, in light of the record so far."

She has the connections to get behind the pretty facade of many a museum and opened the doors of public scrutiny to a lot of less-than-stellar behavior. It would be a shame to lose her concerned voice and once my Paypal account recovers from a number of December charitable donations, I will put my money where my mouth is. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money give but surely somebody out there does? It's the Internet's dirty little secret - all this great information, breaking news, articles, op-ed pieces, good journalism (and bad) -but nobody is paying the writers.

http://www.artsjournal.com/culturegrrl/

3 comments:

Sheree Rensel said...

This is such an interesting post to me. I am no "Culture Grrl", but I relate so much. I have recently had an awakening. I ran my "Git Outta My Face Gallery" online for two years. I organized the Twitter 140 show. Both were successful and offered artists opportunities. I bank rolled everything. Then, there is my blog (660 posts worth). I recently started asking myself "WHY DO I PUT SO MUCH TIME AND ENERGY INTO ALL THIS STUFF, but get so little in return." For years, I didn't care. I care now. I have to do something to support myself and my art. This sounds selfish, but it is time for me to be selfish. You know?
Sheree

namastenancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
namastenancy said...

The lack of remuneration for journalists is what is going to kill real on-line newspapers and decent investigative journalism. I understand the need to be selfish when your finances are on the line. If I didn't have a pension and be old enough to collect SS, I wouldn't be doing this for free either