Thursday, August 23, 2012

Barry McGee (review to come)


Image courtesy of Peter Cavagnaro, Media Relations Manager
UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive (BAM/PFA)

I went over to Berkeley this morning to preview the new exhibit of Barry McGee. I just wish the Berkeley Art Museum was easier to access; between Muni and Bart and the 30 minute walk to get there, I was pretty tired upon arrival.

I also wish that the museum would provide some chairs for us as we listen to the introduction. Maybe some people don't mind standing for 30+ minutes while they listen to the curators (who are really nice people) but my back was bothering me before we started. 

McGee - his work is the sophisticated urban graffiti hipster stick, borrowings from all over the place, especially from Crumb, non-narrative, unemotional and uber cool. It's just not my thing.

6 comments:

Michael Strickland said...

Stop whining.

namastenancy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
...dan said...

non-narrative...? well, maybe. but i think you just didn't get it. not each piece has an obvious narrative, but the many of the works are with a strong narrative; example is the re-creation of the market building with hand painted signs. the r.fong storefront. it's an echo of buildings and stores found all through the mission district of s.f.

i could go on and on telling you the "narrative" of other works in the show (think people standing on top of the van catching a tag on the wall) but it seems you just didn't get it, or maybe didn't like it. that's fine.

sorry your back was hurting. i agree, a 30 minute talk while everyone stands is brutal. they should have walked and talked.

namastenancy said...

Mike - "It's my blog and I'll whine if I want to, whine if I want to, whine if I want to. You would whine too if it happened to you!"

namastenancy said...

Dan - please do continue. That's the kind of dialogue that I respect. The "non-narrative" comment was from one of the curators so I was just quoting. But if you understand this work better, you have a form here to comment. I don't delete comments unless they are full of swear words or racism.

namastenancy said...

Oh - and they did walk and talk. After the long introduction they walked us though the exhibit which took another hour or so. I finally asked one of the museum people for a chair. It was embarrassing but I just had to sit down.