Saturday, August 11, 2012

Still life with grapes

I have been busy exploring my new love of pastels. I finished this the other day and when a friend came over for breakfast, she was so taken with it that she bought it. All of the pieces that I am working on are small, 8 1/2 x 11, and I think that makes it easier to finish a piece. Composition can be challenge in such a small piece but well worth it when it all comes together. I laugh when I am struggling with organization, remembering the tiny, exquisite Dutch paintings that I so admire, with every inch packed with detail and yet, the whole does not look cluttered. The hardest part is cleaning up afterwards; pastel dust gets all over the place.

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

Beautiful color choices - I love how you have taken a bold look at a very traditional subject.

namastenancy said...

Thank you - I guess I thought that I was being very traditional. The friend who bought the piece thought that the grapes were cherries so obviously I have a ways to go with realism.

Michael Strickland said...

I like it very much too. Good photo also.

namastenancy said...

Thank you - credit for the photo has to go to my scanner. I am pretty much a point and click person.