Sunday, January 20, 2013

Vermeer's "Girl with a Pearl Earring." coming to SF


One of my friends was concerned that attending this would not be a very happy experience. She was concerned about the crowds and even the quality of the work. Given how this exhibit is being ignored in the media and elsewhere, I don't think she has to worry. Fine art is not the flavor du jour. It doesn't even place in all the hoo-ha over the latest scandals. We have become such a junk loving culture that even President Obama's second inauguration is 3rd page news.

2 comments:

Zoomie said...

Ignored by the media? It's everywhere in my media - FB, Chron, TV news, radio, etc. I'm worried about the crowds, too, but I'm going anyway. When else would I have a chance to see such an iconic painting in person? And I'll bet the rest of the works are pretty spectacular, too.

I'm just waiting for the opening crowds to dissipate a litte...

nancy namaste said...

One of the good things about being a member of the press - even the 3rd level press like the Examiner.com - is that I get to preview these kinds of shows. Sometimes that is a mixed blessing. When they had the post-Impressionist show here in 2011? 2012?, the nitwits were using their flash cameras in front of the Van Gogh's pieces. There were so many flashes that the rest of us were blinded. Finally, the curator had to ask them to stop, pointint out that they would get a Hi-Res image in the press kit.

But it really is nice to see the pictures without the crush and the curators are there to answer questions. I used to be able to bring a guest but we can't do that any more.