Sunday, March 10, 2013

Winslow Homer Watercolors.The Color of Light.


I found this book quite by accident while browsing through the Mechanic's Institute Library, checked it out and decided that I must have it. The authors took a detailed and knowledgeable look at Homer's paintings - more detail and in more depth than I have ever seen.  They have done a marvelous job of illuminating Homer's technique, a far more valuable tool for artists than simply another pretty color book.

It wasn't cheap but it's worth every penny.

When I closed my outside studio last year, I took up watercolors in a more serious way. I had studied them at City College under a very poor instructor so I knew that I had a lot to learn. I have been on the look out for good books on watercolors and believe that this is just about the best book that I have found. It has tons of information on how Homer obtained his effects and just how experimental he was. I can hardly wait until it arrives and I'm saving up my pennies for more paints and paper.

228 pages, index of technical terms, extensive references and bibliography, copiously illustrated with excellent color plates.

No comments: