Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Clock by Christian Marclay

SFMOMA will be closing this summer for renovations and additions. But they are going out with a bang. Next month, when the ground is broken for the new construction, they will be giving a four day party with free admission, curators on every floor to answer questions and all the bells and whistles an art lover could want.

For now, they have unveiled their latest exhibit, Christian Marclay's "The Clock." I believe that it will be playing around the clock during the last days of the "old" museum.

Winner of the Golden Lion award at the 2011 Venice Biennale, Christian Marclay's The Clock is a cinematic tour de force that unfolds on the screen in real time through thousands of film excerpts that form a 24-hour montage. Appropriated from the last 100 years of cinema’s rich history, the film clips chronicle the hours and minutes of the 24-hour period, often by displaying a watch or clock. The Clock incorporates scenes of everything from car chases and board rooms to emergency wards, bank heists, trysts, and high-noon shootouts.




http://www.sfmoma.org/exhib_events/exhibitions/513

4 comments:

Zoomie said...

Sounds like an interesting piece. Since I retired, I have a different sense of time but, interestingly, it's because time is going faster and faster (in my imaginary time). One thinks of retirement as leisurely but my impression is that it's much fuller/faster.

AphotoAday said...

Leave it to the Brits to over-think "time".
The award would go to Andy Warhol's "Sleep", which was pretty damn boring, but probably far less boring than this movie, or this fellow trying to explain it all. Just my opinion. Forgive me.

nancy namaste said...

Whenever I see the newest, latest, trendiest thing hyped to the max, my critical facilities move into position. I wasn't able to get a seat so I only viewed 10 minutes or so of the film. I think it's probably over-praised but then I think that of most things these days. It would be a perfect, rainy afternoon, popcorn movie to be watched from the comfort of your own living room and with friends. People talked about how mesmerizing it is but I think that is a combination of the endless cuts of clocks and the comfortable (or so I'm told) Ikea couches. But then, I am not the market for this. However, I was grateful that the SFMOMA's curator for film and digital media held back a little of his usual pontificating.

nancy namaste said...

I just saw a tweet that the wait to see this movie is 40 minutes. The poster thought it was worth the wait. I probably would not.