Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Yesterday China, tomorrow France

 Yesterday I reviewed Chinese "courtesans" via paintings at the Berkeley Art Museum & Pacific Film Archive (BAM/PFA) and tomorrow (or the day after), I will be looking at Redon's drawings for Flaubert's "Temptation of St. Anthony." It's quite a vistual journet from sedate Chinese maidens for sale to Redon's "noirs" celebrationg one of Flaubert's wilder and unreadable forays into the dark side of the imagination.

I have to say that in terms of confusion and misdirection, the shuttle from Caltrans to the Stanford Campus has Berkeley beat hands down. I am not sure where I ended up but it was a long way from the museum. This happens every time - you would think that I had it figured out by now. (DUH!) But what a beautiful campus! I love the museum there too - it's just just the right size. The entrance way with that double staircase, mosaic floor and marble walls always makes me feel like I've stepped back to a more elegant time.

The Rodin gates are magnificent, so magnificent that I can forgive the orange De Suevero that's polluting the view on the other side of the building. Actually I try to ignore it in the hopes that it will go away. Soon.

No comments: