Saturday, October 29, 2016

"Emojis" are the new art?

The LA Times and other news organizations are now declaring these as "art." I have about as much respect for their opinion on this as I do on their coverage of this election and their creation of trump as a presidential candidate.

The design department at New York’s Museum of Modern Art has acquired everything from Tetris to the  “@” symbol for its permanent collection. Now it has added a palette of emojis. “Emojis as a concept go back in the centuries, to ideograms, hieroglyphics and other graphic characters, enabling us to draw this beautiful arch that covers all of human history,” Paola Antonelli, a senior curator at the museum tells The Times’ David Pierson. “There is nothing more modern than timeless concepts such as these.” Los Angeles Times

1 comment:

Carla Ives said...

I love using emojis in my communication. And while they may be old, go back to hieroglyphics and a "timeless concept," I don't consider them art. I am not an artist. I can draw most of these things quite well. Plus, they are a little too simplified for me to call them art. I think they are just what they purport to be, a way of expressing emotion in our 24/7 instant world where communication is now quite lacking. For that, they are wonderful. As art, not so much.