Friday, March 31, 2017

Today's birthday guy: Pascin

Hermine in Bed, watercolor

Portrait of Lucy Krohg, c. 1925, oil and pencil on canvas
More important artists were born today like Constable and more powerful ones born this week like Goya and Van Gogh, but I decided to go with somebody who was not that important but whose sweet paintings are many people's favorites.

March 31, 1885. Julius Mordecai Pincas, (March 31, 1885 - June 5, 1930) known as Pascin, Jules Pascin, or the "Prince of Montparnasse", was born in Bulgaria. During World War I, he worked in the United States. He is best known as a painter in Paris, where he was strongly identified with the Modernist movement and the artistic circles of Montparnasse. Having struggled with depression and alcoholism, he committed suicide at the age of 45. In this image: Jules Pascin, Hermine in bed.

Images from Wikipedia/ Creative Commons liscense

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Pascin

1 comment:

Carla Ives said...

I had seen the Portrait of Lucy Krohg before, but I never knew who the artist was. There is something delicate yet intense about this work that I really like. I am going to have to look up a few more images. And, yes, VanGogh and Goya are more well-known, but it's always nice to learn about some of the folks people feel are lesser artists. I like this work very much.