Thursday, April 13, 2017

Summer of Love

Installation view of Haight Street Gallery in ‘The Summer of Love Experience.’ (Courtesy of FAMSF)
Give us an exhibit that offers a clear-eyed critique of what truthfully was a brief social experiment, notes its shortcomings along with its joys. Give us context. At the very least, give us some intellectual honesty: an exploration of what really happened, who it affected, why it ended, and how it shaped the San Francisco (and United States) we currently inhabit.

Exactly.. and more at: 

https://ww2.kqed.org/arts/2017/04/12/de-young-summer-of-love-50th-anniversary/

1 comment:

Carla Ives said...

Although I did not make it to San Francisco until sometime after the "Summer of Love," friends who were there told me it all wasn't as reported, not quite all lovely. I think a retrospective of the times is a good thing as, regardless of what it wasn't, it was unique. This is one of the times I really wish I were on the other coast to see this!