Sunday, August 6, 2017

Today's birthday. Andy Warhol


August 06, 2017. Andy Warhol (August 6, 1928 - February 22, 1987) was an American artist who was a leading figure in the visual art movement known as pop art. His works explore the relationship between artistic expression, celebrity culture and advertisement that flourished by the 1960s. After a successful career as a commercial illustrator, Warhol became a renowned and sometimes controversial artist. The Andy Warhol Museum in his native city, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, holds an extensive permanent collection of art and archives. It is the largest museum in the United States of America dedicated to a single artist.

Somebody should do my paintings for me. Quote at Guggenheim here,


“Art is what you can get away with.” -






A visitor to SFMOMA tripped and fell into Wahol's Triple Elvis. Now the museum has to both repair the piece and reevaluate its value. Tripping into valuable art seems to be what people who visit museums do best this decade. Never saw that in my first 60 years on this planet.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-warhol-trip-sfmoma-20160606-snap-htmlstory.html

https://www.warhol.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Warhol

Explore on Artsy here  .

Images from Wikipedia

1 comment:

Carla Ives said...

Being a teenager in the 1960s, I remember Andy Warhol quite well. I remember seeing him on many of the TV programs of the day. I always thought he was more than a bit strange, to say the least. Yet, I liked most of his work. Maybe because it was different. Maybe because of the bright pops of color he used. I'm not sure. But although this is NOT the type of art I usually appreciate, I liked Andy Warhol.